CHICO, CA – Kyle Hirst is no stranger to Victory Lane, especially in California. Hirst out-duelled Shane Stewart in a thrilling finish Friday at the Silver Dollar Speedway on the opening night of the Gold Cup Race of Champions. It was Hirst’s first career World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series Feature Win. Dominic Scelzi came home third, a career-best for him as well.
Hirst took command from the drop of the green and led the first six laps before Stewart closed in as traffic thickened. Stewart and Hirst made contact the following lap with the Larson/Marks Racing No.2 leading lap seven. As Stewart navigated traffic, Hirst and Scelzi remained within striking distance.
Coming off turn four on the 11th circuit, Stewart bobbled on the cushion and allowed Hirst to re-take the lead on lap 12. A caution for Sheldon Haudenschild the following lap allowed everyone to catch their breath.
The final 14 laps went non-stop with Hirst and Stewart exchanging slide jobs for the lead multiple times. On two occasions, Stewart cleared Hirst off turn four for the lead but Hirst turned it under and re-gained command into turn one.
Hirst’s win was a popular one among the California faithful and led to an emotion-filled Victory Lane with his Roth Motorsports No. 83 team. “I’ve been racing for 15 years and I’ve finally snagged one of these World of Outlaw wins. That’s for Chico, California,” an exuberant Hirst said in Victory Lane.
Results from Silver Dollar Speedway – September 9, 2017
Feature (30 Laps)
1.83-Kyle Hirst 2-Shane Stewart
3. 41S-Dominic Scelzi 4. 20-Cory Eliason
5. 121-Justin Sanders 6. 83JR-Jonathan Allard
7. 22-Shane Golobic 8. 5-David Gravel
9. 15-Donny Schatz 10. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild
11. 35-Jamie Veal 12. 22M-Mason Moore
13. 49-Brad Sweet 14. 1S-Logan Schuchart
15. 3C-DJ Netto 16. O-Bud Kaeding
17. 37-Mitchell Faccinto 18. 9-Daryn Pittman
19. 7S-Jason Sides 20.11K-Kraig Kinser
21. 17-Jac Haudenschild 22. 4-Paul McMahan
23. 24-Rico Abreu 24. 1A-Jacob Allen
Both Kyle Hirst and Shane Stewart are racing here at Vodafone Speedway early December, for ticket and all details go to www.springspeedway.com